super star park
homeaboutcalendarspecial workshop requestssuper star blogproductslinkscontact

Friday, January 18, 2008

Caring

I heard this week about a friend, who lives in Maryland, with whom I had lost touch over the last couple of years, since my move to Florida. What I heard was both heartbreaking and yet somehow, hopeful as well. Her story started with a severe lower back injury on the job (I think in 2002 or 2003) which was, of course, denied as an on-the-job injury by the workman's compensation insurance company...and the battle began. While she was fighting for her worker's rights every step of the way and, unable to work because of the injury and severe pain, she suffered a stroke; furthering her medical woes and financial difficulties. It has come to my attention that she has now possibly had another stroke and, in the meantime, has been diagnosed with MS. It is my understanding that her existence has been reduced to living in cramped conditions in a nursing home...for the past sixteen months!

Her husband is a wonderful soul, but is simply not qualified, under the circumstances, to care for her in a home environment. I understand he goes to see her everyday when he is able. I know this woman is a survivor. The fact of her living for so long in a nursing facility and dealing with the indignities that must go along with that scenario speak loudly of her resolve. I applaud her tenacity. Hearing about this happening to people you know is shocking and heartbreaking. The mutual friend who informed me of this woman's situation pledged to visit her as much as possible. I hope she is able to honor that commitment. If I still lived in Maryland, I would go to see her as much as possible. She deserves a caring circle of family and friends.

The hope I spoke of is, that in spite of all the medical worries, my friend still has her sense of humor...I'm not surprised. She is one of the smartest people I have ever had the pleasure and honor of knowing who always had a good comeback laced with intelligent wit and uproarious innuendo. I learned much from her as a co-worker, and more importantly, as her friend. This one's for you my friend...remember the Karla Bonoff concert we saw...now that was fun...I will never forget it...and, I will never forget you!

Please send prayer requests through the blog in order to maintain my friend's privacy. Thank you for caring.

In love & light,
Glenna

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am in somewhat the same circumstance as your friend...Only I do not M.S. I have fibromyalgia and am a cancer survivor. I found yesterday I also have a bad heart and my kidneys are beginning to fail because of all the medication I have to take for the back and neck pain over the past (6) years. I think Workman's Comp. and the insurance companies are in human in the way they deal with people who have been working all of their lives until they were injured.

I will pray for your friend...I hope her quality of life will improve. I hope you write to her and let her know that others in the same plight are out here and do care deeply about her welfare.

Be Blessed!

Glenna Park said...

Thank you for praying for my friend, I appreciate it and I know she will too...my prayers go out to you as well. I understand all too clearly the agony of living with chronic pain. I was hit by a car when I was 8 years old and further injured my back on-the-job at the beginning of 1983 (When I was 25). Even though pierced ears and tattoos are all the rage, I refuse to pay someone to inflict pain on me...lol. Be well and take care...my love and healing light are directed your way.