super star park
homeaboutcalendarspecial workshop requestssuper star blogproductslinkscontact

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Saluting Our Veterans

Hello Super-Stars! I hope you are all doing well. Every year we honor and salute our Veterans, for their courage, honor and sacrifice for securing our freedom and peace, on Veteran's Day. My father was a fighter pilot in World War II in the Pacific arena on the U.S.S. Ommaney Bay aircraft carrier. There were many close calls from Kamikaze planes trying to sink the ship and, on January 4, 1945, a Japanese plane succeeded in its quest. As the carrier was aflame and sinking, my father was getting ready to jump ship when the fellow next to him told my dad he could not swim...my father told him to jump and then he would follow and save him...he did not let the sailor down, bringing him safely to one of the rope and cork life rafts.

My father rarely spoke of his travails during that time, but likened it to "just doing his job" for his country and fellow men. I wonder at the mental scars he must have lived with for so many years from that awful era, the friends lost in the process and how in the world he moved on from witnessing such awful brutality. However, he did not let it ruin his life and lived with the same sense of honor and pride of country until his last breath, in 2007. In a rebellious moment when I was twelve, in 1969/1970, I was drawing a Peace sign on a chalkboard with things like, "End the Vietnam War," and "Bring home our men." My father caught sight of the drawing and proceeded to sit me down and explain why we were at war and that, even though it was not a popular war, we were fighting for freedom, democracy and peace in a region that had little of those basic human rights. His intervention enlightened me to the plight of the people we were trying to save and, to the ultimate goal of peace. I continue to pray for a world of Love, Civility and Peace so that the world will avoid future conflict.

His explanation gave me pause to think more clearly on the reasons, even though I still did not think our nation should be fighting in Vietnam. He taught me the value of honoring the men that fought and how they should not be treated poorly upon their return, as many were during that fateful era. Time has thankfully passed and the fine Veterans of that war have been honored for their service and sacrifice. As our country is again at war, another unpopular one at that, I ask that you please honor all soldiers and their families for their sacrifice. Thank a Veteran wherever, and whenever, possible; everyday if the opportunity arises. Continue to push for Love, Civility and Peace in your everyday life and share the Super-Star message to the farthest reaching corners of the globe. Our respect, and the honor deserved by so many is worth the effort we put forth. Remember, thank a Veteran and salute them!!!

Think - Live - Be - A Super-Star!

In love & light and, with much appreciation,
Glenna :-)

No comments: