super star park
homeaboutcalendarspecial workshop requestssuper star blogproductslinkscontact

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Milestones: The Life Markers We Hold Dear

Hello Super-Stars! I hope you are all doing well. The variety of milestones each of us have had mark significant advances we have made along this journey we call life. Losing your first tooth and waiting for the "Tooth Fairy" to leave money under our pillow; starting Kindergarten...my beginning in this was fraught with much drama but that is another story...okay, I spit in the teacher's face the first day...yes, quite the little hellion, but my older brother had scared the living daylights out of me and I was scared...I'm not sure that the teacher, Mrs. Swanson, was quite ready for the likes of me, but we ended up having a good year...I really was a nice little girl...at least that was what Mrs. Swanson wrote on her end-of-the-year note to me. Anyhow, back to our milestones...each year we celebrate many occasions; birthdays, anniversaries, religious events depending on our faith and any number of other significant events along the way.

Some of these events become precious memories which we treasure forever, some are forgotten as we grow older and perhaps become less attuned to what might have once been important to us, and yet others become things that always bring a good laugh...just like that first day of Kindergarten always does for me (please, go ahead, laugh all you want.) That wasn't a very "Super-Starry" kind of day for me, but I learned that spitting at your teacher was not a very nice thing to do nor, to do to anyone else for that matter. The point is that the memories we make are determined by the choices we have made. How we remember these events is influenced by how we thought and felt about the happening. And, the more important the event is to us, the more details we will remember and treasure.

My Step-Grandmother is turning an amazing 100 years old August 14th; most of the extended family of children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and others from near and far are gathering this weekend to celebrate her birthday. I can only imagine the many milestones her life must hold. The good times and bad, the gifts that life gives and the losses endured, the transformation the world has seen since 1908; two World Wars, the Great Depression, and countless events and history witnessed during such a long-lived life. We too are making our own history each day we live and breathe. Are we making good choices? Are our thoughts and feelings being used to the good? Are we living a "Super-Star" life? I believe Nana would appreciate knowing that we are always doing the best we are able to make the world a better place. Happy Birthday, Nana...you go girl!!!

In love & light and, with much appreciation,
Glenna :-)

No comments: